Cardio For Fat Loss
Let’s be real, we all want the secrets to burning fat quick. Every gym, trainer, blog, and article provides a different method to blasting fat quick. The fitness information world is so convoluted that many times it leaves us confused with what we actually need to do to get the results we desire. Confusion and indecision typically leads to no action.
There are two main types of cardio we can do to expedite fat loss, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and Low Intensity Steady State (LISS). High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), which consists of short bursts of exercise followed by frequent rest periods. HIIT training pushes your heart rate up to 90% of your max heart rate (anaerobic training). This training is meant to burn higher amounts of calories, make you sweat, and push you body to extremes.
Think of your group training regiments, such as Orange Theory, F45, etc.
LISS on the other hand is more slow and steady, focusing on maintaining a steady heart rate of 55-85% of your maximum heart rate (aerobic training). LISS training can be done by walking, jogging, biking, or swimming. LISS training has actually been shown to be more effective for sustainable fat loss because at lower intensity, the body will use fat for fuel instead of the glycogen in your muscle tissue. In fact, several studies have shown that LISS is better than HIIT at fat mobilization.
Here are some facts about LISS:
- It's most effective at 30-60 minutes of training. This length allows for maximum fat loss and still allows you to burn a substantial amount of calories over time.
- It can be done anywhere, anytime, with no excuses. LISS is as easy as putting your shoes on and going for a walk. If you have kids, put them in the stroller and head out the door.
- It requires no recovery. LISS is easy on the body, joints, and keeps stress levels and cortisol lower.
- It’s sustainable. If you struggle with sticking to a fitness routine, LISS will be easier for you to stay consistent.
- It’s a solid long-term approach to health. Some of the healthiest people have been known to walk 3-6 miles everyday. LISS is healthy for the heart and provides sustainable fat loss over time.
If you’re struggling to add cardio into your routine, think about using LISS to compliment your fitness routine. Add in a daily morning walk, 30 minutes on the treadmill or stairs, or even an afternoon swim. Create a schedule and stay consistent, and watch the results work for you over time!